I don’t have any pictures or a gorgeous blog post to show for the last two weeks! We all have been feeling under the weather, so there has been lots of books, snuggling, and Pajama days. And I’m ok with that. We’ve continued with the basics, and thrown in lots of good topical reading.
Libby continues with addition facts, using counting on and number line techniques. She has one more page of addition practice before moving on to subtraction this week.
Libby has now made it through the entire capital alphabet. Next week she will begin working on lowercase letters.
Lots of practice with All About Reading. We are on lesson number 30, and Libby is doing so well reading the simple stories. An example of one of the sentences on her practice sheet today: “This pop has no fizz,” said Jim.
Learning through Literature: Mr. Popper’s Penguins
We have been reading Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater over the last two weeks. We also learned about Antarctica, and read several books about penguins.
Other things we did:
- Wrote stories about our day with a penguin and illustrated them. Libby put her penguin in the bathtub and Ian went swimming with his.
- Pretended we were penguins by waddling around the house.
- Used foam balls to be our eggs and walked around with the eggs on our feet like the emperor penguins do.
- Located Antarctica on the map.
- Watched BrainPOP movies about penguins and the South Pole.
It’s been low-key and we’re all hoping for warmer days in the near future!